GDL2, garbage collection, and threads

From: Scott Anderson
Subject: GDL2, garbage collection, and threads
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:29:58 -0400

Hi all,

I'm new to GNUstep (and to ObjC for that matter), so I have a few questions.

I'm looking at using GDL2. In reading through the only documentation I could find (for GDL, ca. 1997 or so), there is a reference to using garbage collection to avoid memory leaks with cyclic models.

However, there is also a note to the effect that the GC implementation is not thread-safe. Since the program I'm working on will be heavily threaded, and I need db access, what are my options? Are the docs (hopefully) out of date?

In looking at the GC code, I notice that it is all class methods. Is there any benefit to rewriting it as instantiable objects, so each thread could have its own GC?

Many thanks,

-scott