NXConstantString error _with_ gcc-3.0

From: Jonathan Hepburn
Subject: NXConstantString error _with_ gcc-3.0
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:39:14 +1000

Help.

I have a horribly, horribly common problem but I think I've exhausted
all the standard solutions.

I have recently upgraded to gcc-3.0.4, as provided by Debian-3.0r1. I
faithfully installed the provided libobjc, and very carefully and
thoroughly UNinstalled gnustep-objc. I uninstalled all GNUstep libraries
et. al., updated core by CVS (most recently just an hour ago), and
reinstalled everything. I started the daemons manually to check for
error messages and I got:

2003-04-17 11:33:30.485 gsnd[27925] GSFFCallInvocation.m:768  Assertion
failed in GSInvocationCallback.  GSFFCallInvocation: Class
'NXConstantString' does not respond to forwardInvocation: for
'cStringLength'
gsnd: Uncaught exception NSInternalInconsistencyException, reason:
GSFFCallInvocation.m:768  Assertion failed in GSInvocationCallback.
GSFFCallInvocation: Class 'NXConstantString' does not respond to
forwardInvocation: for 'cStringLength'

So I googled and trawled, checked that gnustep-objc actually HAD
uninstalled, reinstalled everything just to be on the safe side, and got
the same error. I then grep'ed through the code in gnustep-base and it
looks as though all instances of NXConstantString have been either
changed, or point via a Class declaration, to NSConstantString.

Yet I still have the problem.

?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I don't like being without my
GNUStep applications. I use rather a lot of them. I don't want to go
back to gcc-2.x either, as gcc-3.* was requried to make some
applications easier (read, possible) to compile.