Re: case-insensitive file extensions

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: case-insensitive file extensions
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:56:40 -0600

On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 08:05 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
i just want to remind you that ISO 9660 CD-ROMs have an 8.3 naming scheme with all Letters uppercase. So if you burn a file.zip on an ISO 9660 CD-R
this file will change into FILE.ZIP. Please also remember that, if you
cowork with Windows users (this situation is very common in business)
you'll often get files with mangled filenames (Windows is not case
sensitive, but seems even not to be case preserving in some cases).

I discovered this interesting tidbit almost by accident about the same time as I was reading this thread. This is from typing commands in MacOSX 10.2.5 Terminal.app:

Eldorado ~>ls TEST
ls: TEST: No such file or directory
Eldorado ~>mkdir test
Eldorado ~>mkdir TEST
mkdir: TEST: File exists
Eldorado ~>ls TEST
Eldorado ~>touch insensitive.zip
Eldorado ~>ls -l insensitive.ZiP
-rw-rw-r--  1 fedor  unknown  0 Apr 17 16:53 insensitive.ZiP
Eldorado ~>