Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?
Date: 20 Apr 2003 00:30:33 +0200

Gregory Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> writes:

> I believe that we should examine what is being archived in each case.   I
> don't
> think that anything gnustep "specific" is really being stored.   Only enough
> information to recreate the class.

Yes, but MacOSX will most likely not know what a GS*String is.
Or any GS* class for that matter.  So for this you need a higher
level mapping to the concept "string".

> True, but by how much?  Would the added flexibility be worth the sacrifice?

About 10-50% slower I would guess.
But what is the added flexibility?
I think there can be added flexibility, but than you need more than
just change the "binary" output to "xml" output.

Wim Oudshoorn.