Re: gdnc, gpbs... was Re: Rejoyce! At last it seems to work...

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: gdnc, gpbs... was Re: Rejoyce! At last it seems to work...
Date: 20 Apr 2003 12:53:51 +0200

Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> writes:

> > Any idea what goes wrong?
> no, but probably sourcing the file in init.d isn't enough. the env changes
> get lost. My knowledge unix details sis sometimes too small.
>
> Where do you "source" it? at ever login? that is slow and cumbersome

There are two things that need to be done.

A - starting gdomap, gdnc and gpbs
B - setting up the environment variables.

B    normally is done in a startup script. I do this in .bashrc.
(This might not be the best place, I have not read the bash documentation
in a long time and I always get confused about which file I have to
modify.)

A    is best done in an init.d script.

> > Are you running GNUstep applications on one machine and displaying
> > on a X-server running on another machine?
> Yes that is it. The Sun is headless, I export the display. I noticed that if
> I login from another computer I get
> gdnc
> gdnc -NSHost computer1
> gdnc -NSHost computer2
>
> this almost kills my sun, every gdnc is 6megs ram (2.2 resident). I have
> only 32 MB of ram on my sparc
> Also, logging out from one machine doesn't stop it: every gdnc instance
> remains there occupying space.

Are you sure the situation is as bas as you describe?  Normally the
memory is shared between the different instances of the same program/library
etcetera.  So the I expect that the actual memory usage is much
lower and that starting an additional gdnc does not need significant
resources.

> but at this point, everything seems to work. Starting gdomap correctly was
> probably the clue.
>
> The fact that gworkspace isn't capable of contacting gpbs is mysterius.

If I understand you correctly:
gdomap and gdnc are running correctly
but with gpbs there is still a problem.

> Also
> the Backgrounder problem is it. Enrico tells me that probably it is not
> gworkspace fault, but GNUstep's.

I have to look into this.  But the bug could be caused by the fact that
you run your display on another computer.

Wim Oudshoorn.