Re: [Renaissance]platform objects' awakening

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [Renaissance]platform objects' awakening
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:57:06 +0200

Dirk Lattermann wrote:

Hello Nicola!

Thanks for your instant help!  I'm making some promising
advances with the EOAssociation connector.  Binding a text field
to a database via an EOControlAssociation is working here now!

Wow!  Great news!

I haven't factored out the new classes into a seperate library,
but will do it after I have implemented some more.

When trying to make EODisplayGroups available to Renaissance, too,
I stumbled over the following:

EODisplayGroups have an property fetchesOnLoad which, when set to YES,
tells them to issue a fetch to their EODataSources after they have
loaded from a nib (resulting in a fetch from the database).  In Mulle's
implementation of EOInterface, this is done in
-[EODisplayGroup awakeFromNib], I don't know where it's done in
Apple's version.  To be able to use this feature, I suggest the
following patch to GSMarkupAwaker.m.  That way, the platform object
can be a real EODisplayGroup and not a subclass which implements
-awakeFromGSMarkup.  Yet I don't know if that would harm some other
platform objects.

How about adding a category to EODisplayGroup in the library to be that implements
@implementation EODisplayGroup (Renaissance)
- (void)awakeFromGSMarkup
{
 [self awakeFromNib];
}
@end

That way, if we ever need to fo something special for GSMarkup, we can just alter this implementation accordingly. I don't know what the side effects of allways falling back to awakeFromNib within GSMarkupAwaker may be, but it feels dangerous.

Thanks for your effort! I hope to have that EOEditingContext patch ready soon, to fix that bug, but it's quite intricate and I need to fill a lot of holes.

Cheers,
David