Re: ANN: Gps 0.2

From: Jak
Subject: Re: ANN: Gps 0.2
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:59:52 +0200

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:41:06 +0300
Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:

> But, before this, I must solve a big problem: how to find a (cheap)
> system for having internet in the car. Without this I don't know how
> to test all the stuff...

I have search a mean to have such thing, in France, and even if it's
possible to have an Internet access in a car, it is relatively
expensive. With a GSM phone, which has a modem (a Siemens C35i),
connected to the serial port of a [Linux] laptop, I call an ISP, and it
works fine, but it is slow. If you don't need to be connected for a long
time, it could be a solution.

An other solution is the use of a GPRS terminal, depending on the
possibilities offered by phone's operators. Here, the connexion time is
not a problem, but the amount of data is. I find that subscription of
such service, in France, is relatively expensive : near 20 Euros a month
for 5 Mo of transfered data. Loading a map on vicinity.com is about 50
to 300 ko (I don't remember exactly the numbers I obtain when I tested
that), and you don't know before testing how much data you'll transfer
during your tests.

Remember the main problem in these two solutions : You must always
subscribe to an operator offer during a certain amount of time (I think
these guys are the same in all countries).

Jakob

--
Free your mind, and your OS will follow.