Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:22:58 +0200

On 09.10.2003, at 05:19, Chad Hardin wrote:
FHS is great for the typical UNIX system, and I don't want to change it all, with the exception of the GNUstep stuff.

I know that this issue is very unpopular in the GNUstep list, but I would also *very* much like to see the ability in gstep-make to configure for FHS places instead of "OpenStep" ones.
Eg:
  /System/Libraries => /usr/lib
  /Local/Libraries  => /usr/local/lib
  /System/Library/  => /usr/share/
etc, whatever is appropriate.

IMHO now that the library combos are basically removed by making flattened standard, this is a viable request and except for applications which do not really fit into xxx/bin, GNUstep tools, libraries and resources are just regular Unix apps.

And indeed this is a *very* common request in the OGo project, which also uses the GNUstep environment and is therefore very "unnatural" to Unix admins who complain for good reason.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org