Re: ObjC documentation

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: ObjC documentation
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:01:05 -0500

On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 06:57  PM, Ritesh Kumar wrote:
If some user does want to have a different UI why not give it to them?

They've got the source, they can develop whatever kind of human interface they want.

The system developer should not waste time and effort trying to be things to all people. Instead, they should focus on delivering the most productive interface for the greatest number of users in the target segment. And they should use actual research and study to determine this.

This is the philosophy behind NeXT's and Apple's excellent human interfaces. And this is why almost all other human interfaces on Unix are, to be blunt, utter garbage. One good standard beats ten awful options any day.

If you want to do this, don't let me stop you. But I should hope that the core GNUstep developers don't let theme support hold them back from delivering a great 1.0 release (far too long in coming as it is), or let it make the code more complex and less maintainable.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson, bDistributed.com, Inc.  |  Email: cmh@bDistributed.com
Custom Mac OS X Development           |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955