question about GNUstep on Debian/woody

From: Joerg Desch
Subject: question about GNUstep on Debian/woody
Date: 14 Oct 2003 11:37:04 GMT

I'm absolut new to GNUstep and Objective-C. As a longtime user of
WindowMaker, I now want to try a recent version of GNUstep. Because the woody
stuff is really old, I've started backporting a newer release from Debian/sid
(some weeks ago). Compiling and Building the debian packages was a job for an
weekend. But there's an problem, while running the application. I can't
figure out what is going on with the system.

Here's the list of the installed packages:

ii  gnumail           1.0.99-1.jd1
ii  gnustep-back      0.8.5-1.jd1
ii  gnustep-base1     1.6.0-2.jd1
ii  gnustep-base1-dev 1.6.0-2.jd1
ii  gnustep-gui0      0.8.5-1.jd1
ii  gnustep-gui0-dev  0.8.5-1.jd1
ii  gnustep-make      1.6.0-1.1jd1
ii  gnustep-ppd       0.8.5-1.jd1
ii  image-viewer      0.6.0-7.jd1
ii  wmaker            0.80.1-6
ii  wmaker-data       0.8-2
ii  wmakerconf        2.8.1-1
ii  wmakerconf-dat    0.62.0-1

If I try to start a program (image-viewer, gnumail) from with the windowmaker
menu, the xserver (XFree 4.1.0) crashes and restarts immediately. So I've
tried to start image-viewer within a xterm shell. I've got the following
error messages (repeated several times):

,----
| 2003-06-26 14:38:37.072 ImageViewer[28372] X-Windows error - \
| BadGC (invalid GC parameter)
|           on display: :0.0
|                 type: 0
|        serial number: 164
|         request code: 57
| 2003-06-26 14:38:37.094 ImageViewer[28372] XGFont: selected font: \
| Helvetica-Bold at nan ((nil)) is not available.
`----

What does that mean?

The type-1 `helvetica' fonst is installed....

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd AT die DASH deschs DOT de>