Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control (WAS: Re: deferred dea

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control (WAS: Re: deferred deallocation)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:48:24 -0700

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:18:56 -0400
"Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "Alex Perez" <aperez@student.santarosadu>
> >Exactly. It's about quality control, or the lack thereof, and nothing
> >more.
> Since it is difficult for anyone to test GNUstep on multiple
> platforms, I would like to suggest a GNUstep-test for testing.

No one expects anyone to test on multiple platforms, since that is
almost an impossible thing to do.

However, checking that there are no typos, that it compiles at least on
your own box, before you release it, shouldn't be too hard...

> I know there are some testing code in GNUstep, and some of them use
> guile which I will never try to use. Something like "gmake test" would
> be more easy for normal user. "gmake test" is used in some of the
> library.

A _normal_ user doesn't know what a particular class is supposed to do,
therefor a 'gmake test' won't do him/her much good, because he has no
idea whether the result is correct or not.

Besides that, a test scenario can only check so many features but not
every possible issue.

--
Chris