Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:59:41 +0200

Hi,
I've been following this discussion (and so already former ones on the topic of a 'GNUstep desktop') and here's my opinion.

On 2003-10-16 14:36:50 +0200 Philippe C.D. Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net> wrote:

[snip]

But I thin we are making step forwards for example with GWorkspace. If we
get a good window manager and a preference application I think we are on the
good way. Put in some "usr" applications... and you are at a quite good
point I think.

It is IMHO not enough to "have" some apps which use the GNUstep API and are part of the GNUstep CVS. This approach will not bring back the unique experience found in NEXTSTEP and its successors and thus will not come close to what many of us expect from it, I am afraid.

...but then, what do I know, maybe there is really not much missing which will glue together what is already here.
I think, that the 'glue' holding all those apps together and integrating them into a desktop are a window manager and a workspace application. The latter is already there (even if not yet complete) and working, but the former is more or less missing. There exists no (working) window manager, yet, which really integrates with GNUstep. WindowMaker at least resembles the look, but does not really integrate, apart from the fact, that I don't see progress in this project for quite a while now. It looks like WindowMaker is a dead end wrt GNUstep. And InterfaceWM? Well, it is probably meant to integrate with GNUstep, but currently it is far away from even being usable. So, what we have is GWorkspace, which is quite nice, but without a supporting window manager cannot really take the part of integrating the GNUstep apps into a 'real' desktop system. To me it looks like we urgently need a window manager. Methinks, it is time that we put some (a lot of?) effort into bringing InterfaceWM to a state where it is really usable (even if not complete) and can serve (together with Workspace) as a supporting framework for all those apps and tools.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net