Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:26:10 +0200

On 22.10.2003 22:58:35 "Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 11:57  Uhr, Philip Mötteli wrote:
>>> Of all the applications that I can see which might get us real notice
>>> within the Apple developer community, a superior replacement for
>>> InterfaceBuilder, which would run on MacOS, GNU/Linux, BSD etc  *and*
>>> produce stored GUI information in a format portable between all these
>>> systems seems the best bet.
>>
>> You're right. But it's still far less important than the
>> cross-platform feature of Gnustep or especially GDL2 and GSWeb. Those
>> three are things, the other don't have at all. And
>
>Many cross-platform APIs do already exist, many of them are even far
>more usable than GNUstep as of today, so this feature really does not
>(and IMHO will never) make GNUstep be unique. But then I could see a
>chance for some Mac OS X developers to release their products to a
>wider audience, but unfortunately there is much more than Cocoa on Mac
>OS X, so again I doubt that GNUstep alone can be this solution.

This should be turned into a "win-win situation" as a manager would say:

Cocoa developers getting a cross platform possiblity (If you where on
mailto:cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com , you would already know how badly many
developers try to convince Apple
to release Yellow Box (i.e. Cocoa) for _Windows_)

GNUstep would finally get applications and could attract end users this
way.

GNUstep could make Cocoa developers interested by releasing a somewhat
featurecomplete and stable GDL2 (another thing so many developers want to
have back from Apple: EOF)

If GNUstep manages it to get some more mindshare in the heads of Cocoa
developers (beside from "GNUstep, uhh that unstable attempt to implement
OpenStep, is this still alive?), I think the one or another developer
would be willing to help (hi, Chris Hanson ;-))

>-Phil

greetings, Lars