Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:59:47 +0200

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 09:47 AM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
I mean, do you know, why NeXT invented the OpenStep API? It's exactly for this reason: To integrate their infamous great API into existing environments like MS-Windows and Sun-Solaris.

Oh please. NeXT neither invented OpenStep with that goal nor did OpenStep *ever* integrate very well into Windows. Which is largely due to the "look&feel" being part of AppKit. This also results in all those problems GNUstep has in conjunction with other environments even on a Linux platform, say KDE or GNOME. It doesn't integrate at all.

That a cross platform UI almost always su** is also very well demonstrated by Swing. It "almost" looks like the native platform and yet it doesn't in obvious ways. Just like OpenStep/NT.

Actually my personal conclusion is that you need to write a specific UI per target platform. Now the question is whether we can still reuse core technology, and I would say, yes.

They, exactly as Gnustep, didn't have the resources, to write all the drivers and other code and wrappers to make their system compatibel to the other world. So they standardized their API and implemented it on every important platform. That way, people who wrote software for NeXT could just recompile it for a chosen other platform and it runned. They reused, what others had already done.

Even with OpenStep/NT you always had two make special variants of your UI for the various platforms. "just recompile" is a myth for "cross operation systems". What worked *very* well was NeXTstep/OpenStep as a complete system on different platforms, eg also in conjunction with FAT binaries. *That* was really cool and worked really well.

To make gnustep compatible with macosx is an immediate goal not the long term one.
In my eyes we need that to attract more people. And the more people we have, the more complete the whole thing will be, which will in turn attract even more people, which will complete even more… It's a vicious circle.

... going on for several years now.

Greets
  Helge
--
Reich wird man nicht durch das, was man verdient.
Reich wird man durch das,               was man nicht ausgibt.