Re: Trouble with NSSocketPort

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Trouble with NSSocketPort
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:50:59 +0100

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 04:51 PM, Björn Giesler wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to build a DO object that can be reached on a specific port, to make firewall configuration easier. How can I do that?

Explanation:
1. NSSocketPort -initWithPort: doesn't exist (which is very bad, but that's another story).

I guess -initWithPort: is a new McOS-X method and is missing for historical reasons ... ie because the current NSSocketPort code was written as an implementation of the OpenStep NSPort class which didn't include a lot of the newer MacOS-X API (and didn't work quite the same way). Probably an implementation of the MacOS-X method would be fairly straightforward ... contribution welcome.

2. NSSocketPort -portWithNumber:onHost:forceAddress:listener: doesn't give a shit about the port number if listener is YES (choosing a random port instead), and if listener is NO, the port cannot be used as a receive port in a NSConnection.

Fixed in CVS I hope ... please try it and let me know.