Re: argv not properly set up

From: Jim Balhoff
Subject: Re: argv not properly set up
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:45:53 -0400

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Eric Heintzmann wrote:

Jim Balhoff wrote:
Hi,
I'm just trying out the Simply GNUstep packages which Chad Hardin has put together for Debian Sarge, and I'm running into a problem. While these apparently work for Chad and others, whenever I try to launch any GNUstep executable (such as gpbs or gdnc or any app), I get this error: Error: for some reason, argv not properly set up during GNUstep base initialization
Can anyone suggest what might be behind this problem?
Thanks,
Jim Balhoff

        Hi,

2 debian users got this error too.
AFAIK this error message is coded in NSProcessInfo class (in method initializeWithArguments: ...) called for example at the beginning of make_service. The error happens when argv=0 or argv[0]=0, but I have no idea how argv (or argv[0]) can be null.

Any ideas ?

        Eric

I figured it out (sort of) - after I upgraded my Linux kernel from 2.2.x to 2.4.x, the Simply GNUstep packages started working and the error went away. I don't know enough to explain it, though.

Thanks,
Jim