Re: Re[2]: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for qualit

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Re[2]: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:02:32 +0200

On 24.10.2003, at 00:26, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
| I absolutely agree. GNUstep might be good for *Linux* (or BSD or
| whatever free system) developers who sooner or later intend to port to
| MacOSX, but not for the reverse.

I don't agree :-)
Personally, I don't care about MacOSX but I like xStep API. When I've heard about NeXT something like 10 years ago, I've found this was very superior to windows development APIs. Now, after having used Borland, MFC, php, and lots of thing, I really appreciate GNUstep and *nix . I don't have interest in Mac OS X or windows _today_. May be tomorrow or the day after tomorrow...

Hm, I can't follow you. That exactly proves what I said. GNUstep is only interesting for Linux/BSD people, *not* for MacOSX people.

| Well ... whether Windows is important basically comes down to what the
| "GS project" is. Philip sees GS as EOF+WO and in this case I fully
| agree, Windows is absolutely crucial. All successful Web development
| environment run and need to run on Windows, this is true for PHP, Zope,
| MySQL, J2EE, etc.

Well, I thing about projects for which I'd be interested in having GNustep running on Unix _and_ Windows. But It's not a need for everyone. If you have to deploy on unix and you can develop on unix, there's no need for windows port.

Yes, I only pointed out that this is crucial to be successful (if you want to address a criticial mass). Hardcore WO freaks will immediatly jump into WO on Unix. But unfortunately this is not sufficient, you need actual, regular users to be successful.

As I said before, that OGo doesn't currently run on Windows isn't mission critical. But if it would, it would reach a much larger audience. I get at least on request per week whether OGo runs on Windows. And as mentioned a *lot* of people run Windows on their development desktop. Even if they never would actually deploy a system on Windows, they definitely would like to try out the stuff on their local machine first.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org