Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUstep installation, was Compiling from scratch.
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:58:37 +0000

> Even better, the configuration script could offer to download a
> known-to-work version of the required librari(es), then build and
> install them somewhere in the gnustep environment. All automated.

Hmm, I dont like this idea for the simple reason that its putting a copy
of the libraries somewhere other than where the OS expects them, so if (for
example) I install GNustep on the system I get one version of libtiff in
the GNustep tree. If I then at some point later install some other package
which also installs libtiff in the correct place for that system then I
now have two, possibly different, versions of libtiff installed.
And all without me knowing! Then depending on the link path I pick up one
or the other. Sounds like a recipe for lots of trouble. The only way I can
see this being a good idea is to do the build in the actual source tree and
then staticly link against the GNUstep stuff, so that the libraries never end
up anywhere than another program will try and link them.

-bat.