Re: Documentation for focus policy ?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Documentation for focus policy ?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:27:40 -0700

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 03:51 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

Hi,

 There is a WindowFocus document in gnustep-back
 though it offers pretty few information.
 I feel that most of the focus problem is due to the lack of document.
 Both GNUstep and window manager try to handle the focus,
 and looking into it on both side is really painful.
 It would be really nice to have some documentation about
 the interaction between GNUstep and window manager.

I'm trying to rewrite Focus now, but it could be a while.

=== Iconify "Untitle-1" window by pressing iconify button
Focus went to 0 (xwin 63)
8388780 lost focus on 7
take focus:1 (current=7 key=0) <=== Focus set back on main menu (by window manager, I guess) take focus:4 (current=7 key=0) <=== Focus set back on "File" submenu (by GNUstep ?)
take focus is a message from the Window Manager telling the app that it should take keyboard focus on the specified window. Here 1 is the app icon, 4 is the main menu, I'm pretty sure. However, the main menu only takes focus as a last resort and tries to pass it off to any other window it can. It appears that somehow, it doesn't know that window 7 (Untitled window) isn't visible. Probably another bug :-(
Setting focus to 7
Setting focus to 7
Setting focus to 7 <=== "Untitle-1" window is deiconified automatically.