Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)

From: Patrick Coskren
Subject: Re: GDL2/EOF scaling (was: Re: GNUstep roadmap)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:36:16 -0500

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 08:57 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

Since I don't have tons of time, I'll take out the things where I feel like we've both made our points. Just a few clarifications...

Yes, you have to redo some references, but the tools make it easy. As for identity, I don't see it being a problem as long as you never have more than one object in the same EOEditingContext for a particular table row.

If you have multiple overlapping entities keyed on a single primary key, which you are suggesting as a "regular way to deal with the problem", you will actually have multiple objects being keyed to a primary key.

Yes, but I don't believe that's a problem as long as they're not in the same EOEditingContext. It's the same set of issues as if multiple copies of the app are accessing the database at the same time, but that's nothing specific to EOF.

In a web app, you'd rarely have a result set with 10,000 items,

When you are dealing with less than 10000 items you really don't need a RDBMS. How big are those items? You can store all of them in memory! And querying them using EOQualifier is very fast as well. You need distribution? Use DO. Want something a bit more DB like? use Berkley DB.
I do not install a RDBMS for 10000 rows.

I was talking about the result set of the query, not the database. The table could easily have a million or more entries without breaking a sweat. But the result of a query is typically smaller, and is, as you point out, easily stored in memory.

-Patrick