Re: Ocean Resources also RE: Compiling from scratch

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Re: Ocean Resources also RE: Compiling from scratch
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:08:32 +0100

Hi Dennis,

I had similar thoughts with regard to a repository of thorughly tested applications and gnustep installation / dependancies. Though if you have a certain version of a piece of software tested, it would be easier and just as useful to put a url for it and spare yourself the bandwidth usage. Same goes for those developers with cvs, maybe if people can just give you feedback about what applicationts worked well for them on a certain date we could do a cvs co of that code and use it, or create tarballs of it if necessary. I'm very keen on getting to know cvs at the moment, it seems a pretty wonderful tool and one that we could use to our advantage. Maybe application developers would consider keeping a semistable tag? Then people could keep reasonable current without the risk of being landed with something that doesn't work.

I have been working the last 3 days on making gnustep installation easier, my work so far is here: http://www.digital-bushido.org/opensource/files/GSInstaller.tgz It still has some problems like you will still need to manually add sourcing the GNUstep.sh file to your .bashrc or whatever after the install has finished, but for the most part it seems to work. It's a little annoying installing to a place that requires root privelages though as it configures as a normal user but it will ask you to type in the root password if it needs it for you to install for each operation as GNUstep modules have to each be built and installed in order this seems unavoidable (comments and suggestions welcome on this). I have tested it several times today and it seems to 'work for me (TM)' but I have no idea how it will behave on other peoples systems, so my advice is if you try it, is to just install it to your home directory. It will cvs co alexs latest semistable tag, which currently only contains core, and put it in ~/GNUstep/gnustep and then hopefully configure and install a working system. My normal test has been to do the former and then just attempt to compile and install a normal application in the same terminal I used to do the install, so it uses that same environment and then attempt to run it. I'm not sure how people would react to my trying to mess with their .bashrc programatically (that's if they use bash). I have learned a lot doing this, about subtle differences between fbsd and linux binarys and ones that exist on one system and not the another. I had never really done a lot with shell scripting before, so it has been quite a learning experience all round, I just hope it has been worth the effort and that it is of use to someone.

I'm still thinking how to make it easier, and maybe about extending it to check properly for dependancies before attempting to do anything. Pascal Bourguignon seems keen on the idea of it trying to settle its own dependancies, I could try using wget or something for packages from a repository such as the one you mention, though I see automated installation of system software as pretty risky, but I will look at this further at a later date if enough people are interested.

The installer uses two scripts, the only one you will need to run is firstStep, the second script is a heavily modified compile-all script from core. The compile-all script can still be used independantly and hopefully it might replace the one in cvs at some point to save me having to copy the file to the core directory once it has been downloaded. You could use it standalone for a snapshot tarrball for instance. I added some --help so people can have a look what options are available. If you are using the firstStep script though you won't have to touch configure-all, the choices you make in the firstStep script get passed on to the compile-all script and if anything fails in the compile-all script it gets relayed back to the firstStep script and it will exit.

I still feel I have much to do, but it's a start and hopefully it will let people know that I am working at trying to make GNUstep easier to install; I'm also very keen to get some feedback and suggestions.

I think I better stop writing now, this was only intended to be a quick email :)

Regards,

Ian (Ian_J on #gnustep)