Re: Grids in Renaissance

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Grids in Renaissance
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:21:59 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Andreas,

> Hi all,
>
> I am evaluating Renaissance and am trying to setup a few test
> interfaces. My first test window is a simple setup consisting of a few
> comboboxes with labels arraged like this
>
> Supplier:      [combo box]    Carrier:   [combo box]
> Customer: [combo box] Provider:[combo box]
> |                     a custom view                           |
>
> It appears that combo boxes aren't currently supported.

You are right.  I'll write an implementation and commit it once CVS is up
again.

> I tried popup buttons instead but still failed to get this layout realized
> with vbox and hbox.

Not every layout can be realized with vbox and hbox (that's why we need
grids) but that's the theory; in practice, most layouts can be realized
with just those two building blocks, and in most other cases you can find
a workaround, or reorganize things slightly to fit in a box system.

In particular, your layout can be set up with hbox and vbox -

<gsmarkup>
  <objects>
    <window>
      <vbox>

        <!-- Upper part of the window -->
        <hbox>

          <!-- First column -->
          <vbox>
            <hbox>
              <label>Supplier:</label>
              <textField width="100"/>
            </hbox>
            <hbox>
              <label>Customer:</label>
              <textField width="100"/>
            </hbox>
          </vbox>

          <!-- Second column -->
          <vbox>
            <hbox>
              <label>Carrier:</label>
              <textField width="100"/>
            </hbox>
            <hbox>
              <label>Provider:</label>
              <textField width="100"/>
            </hbox>
          </vbox>

        </hbox>

        <!-- Lower part of the window -->
        <scrollView width="500" height="250" />
      </vbox>
    </window>
  </objects>
</gsmarkup

Of course, I've put a textField where you want to put a popup, and a
scrollView where you want to put your custom instance.

Replacing textfields with popups might give you alignment troubles; try
using halign="wexpand" in all the popups to fix this problem.

> The documentation mentions - unfortunately not more than that
> - grid but not even found a corresponding class in the sources.
>
> Is this grid available? Which class is it? A gsmarkup example would be
> greatly appreciated!

The grid is not yet available -- but hopefully it's unlikely you'll need
it. :-)

You are probably in more need of comboBoxes and of good documentation and
examples - I'll try to do some more of that. :-)

Thanks for your reports, and let me knwo if you still have problems with
the layout.