GNUstep make and frameworks

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: GNUstep make and frameworks
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:32:19 +0100

Hi all,

no answers so far. :-) So I add some info I just gathered. Building a framework with ProjectBuilderWO.app gives me the following:

bash-2.05a$ cd /Build/FBObjects/FBObjects.framework/Versions/A
bash-2.05a$ ls -l
total 832
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ahoesch  admin  423188 Dec 28 21:16 FBObjects
drwxr-xr-x  9 ahoesch  admin     306 Dec 28 21:16 Headers
drwxr-xr-x  5 ahoesch  admin     170 Dec 28 21:16 Resources

Building the same framework on the same machine with GNUstep make gives me:

bash-2.05a$ cd /Build/FBObjects/FBObjects.framework/Versions/A
bash-2.05a$ ls -l
total 208
lrwxr-xr-x 1 ahoesch admin 18 Dec 27 21:55 FBObjects -> libFBObjects.dylib
drwxr-xr-x  10 ahoesch  admin    340 Dec 27 21:54 Headers
drwxr-xr-x   5 ahoesch  admin    170 Dec 27 21:55 Resources
lrwxr-xr-x 1 ahoesch admin 24 Dec 27 21:55 libFBObjects.dylib -> libFBObjects.dylib.1.0.0 lrwxr-xr-x 1 ahoesch admin 24 Dec 27 21:55 libFBObjects.dylib.1 -> libFBObjects.dylib.1.0.0 -rwxr-xr-x 1 ahoesch admin 93204 Dec 27 21:55 libFBObjects.dylib.1.0.0

I see that FBObjects is a link to libFBObjects.dylib.1.0.0 - ok for me - but why is the size of the binary so much smaller? Can this be?

Is anybody - except Nicola with Renaissance - actually using GNUstep make to build stuff on MacOSX? I successfully built Renaissance on MacOSX but all attempts to build my chain of frameworks with GNUstep make failed so far.

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Regards,

   Andreas

I am trying to build and use a bunch of frameworks with GNUstep make and always get messages like

dyld: /opt/GNUstep/Local/Tools/FBEnterTest version mismatch for library: /Library/Frameworks/FBEnterprise.framework/Versions/A/FBEnterprise (compatibility version of user: 1.0.0 greater than library's version: 0.0.0)

when running a tool or application that depends on the frameworks. Any idea what this means and how this can be fixed?

A typical framework GNUmakefile looks as follows:

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR = /Build/FBObjects
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT)
FRAMEWORK_NAME = FBObjects
FBObjects_HEADER_FILES = OBType.h FBObjects.h FBObjectExtension.h OBModelConverter.h OBClass.h OBAttribute.h Definitions.h OBModel.h
FBObjects_HEADER_FILES_INSTALL_DIR = FBObjects
FBObjects_OBJC_FILES = OBType.m FBObjects.m FBObjectExtension.m OBModelConverter.m OBClass.m OBModel.m OBAttribute.m
FBObjects_C_FILES =
LIBRARY_NAME = libFBObjects
VERSION = 1.0.0
ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS +=  -framework FBAccess -framework FBEnterprise
FBObjects_FRAMEWORK_LIBS += -framework FBAccess -framework FBEnterprise
LIBRARIES_DEPEND_UPON += -framework FBAccess -framework FBEnterprise
FBObjects_RESOURCE_FILES = basetypes Localizable.strings
FBObjects_LOCALIZED_RESOURCE_FILES =
FBObjects_LANGUAGES =
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/framework.make

I include these as follows in the tool.

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR = /Build/FBEnterTest
TOOL_NAME = FBEnterTest
FBEnterTest_OBJC_FILES = FBEnterTest_main.m
FBEnterTest_C_FILES =
ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS += -framework FBAppKit -framework FBDesign -framework FBEnterprise -framework FBObjects FBEnterTest_TOOL_LIBS += -framework FBAppKit -framework FBDesign -framework FBEnterprise -framework FBObjects
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

Starting the tool gives me the above message. I am puzzled. Any hints are greatly appreciated. By the way, I am trying this on MacOSX with GNUstep make 1.9.0.

Thanks a lot in advance,

  Andreas