Re: Fetching with NSUrl/NSTimer and accepting Input from DO --> Double R

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Fetching with NSUrl/NSTimer and accepting Input from DO --> Double Release
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:01:26 +0000

On 12 Jan 2004, at 22:54, Philip Mötteli wrote:

Hi

I have a daemon (which is single threaded), that is once a minute triggered by an NSTimer, to fetch some data from the Internet:

        NSTimer ---->   [NSString stringWithContentsOfURL:anNSUrl];

It might happen, that I also connect from within another program to this same daemon, using Distributed Objects. This client program will crash somewhere in [NSStaticData decode...], because in the daemon a GSMutableArray instance from NSPortCoder gets released twice. I actually don't know why, but have the impression, the reason for it is not in my code.

If the crash is when NSPortCoder is releasing some object it has encoded, then probably some other code has already released it when it shouldn't have done so ... that's unlikely
to be anything to do with NSURL,  though I guess it could be.

Is that a problem to use NSUrl and DO in the same program?
No, certainly not ... I have lots of code that does it.

My best guess would be too many releases in user code, but I wouldn't rule out a problem
in the library code.

I would suggest simplifying the code down to a small test case reproducing it ... then we could run under debug and try to track it down. I volunteer to do that debugging if you
can provide the testcase.