Re: GModel decision

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GModel decision
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:07:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> > Yes ... I think that the text-property-list encoded format of a keyed
> > archive finally makes reverse engineering of archived objects a
> > practical possibility (not to imply that it would be quick or easy).
> > I had a look at writing a keyed archiver several months back, and it did
> > not look *too* bad ... but I was having some trouble figuring out
> > exactly what the algorithm for generating the property list should be.
> > Perhaps I can find time to get back to it ... sounds like it might move
> > up the priority list if someone is willing to do the donkey-work of
> > updating all the ancoding/decoding methods of the base/gui objects using
> > it.
> >

> Last night I had my first chance to look at a key/value encoded nib and
> that did look rather readable. SO if you need somebody to help you I am
> ready to take up some tasks.
>
> Fred

As I said in a previous message, I would definitely like to see this happen.
Keyed archives are important step towards a viable cross platform solution for
Gorm.   Since it's possible to store the archives in a human readable format,
the task of making Gorm produce a file which, at least can be transformed into
something that is usable by MOSX becomes a great deal closer.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---