What should and should not go in?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: What should and should not go in?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:25:41 -0800 (PST)

All,

I am wondering where all of the fuss about "this was not in OpenStep and
therefore shouldn't go in" is coming from, as I've been hearing this a lot
lately.  OpenStep is a standard that was created in 1994, a decade ago, that
standard is dated to say the least.  So, why would we want to tie ourselves to
this especially when MOSX represents an extension of it?

What we need is to clearly define the types of things we should/shouldn't
include in GNUstep.  Using the recent NSToolbar spat as an example, I,
personally, believe that we should put it in, despite any technical objections,
simply because it's used by a number of applications under MOSX and, with it's
inclusion, we'll attract those who've used it.   Now, I'm not saying that there
are tens of thousands of developers who want to use NSToolbar.  No.  I'm
asserting that the more we stray from MOSX, the more we loose potential
developers and users.

Applications like Adium and iTerm, for instance, are waiting for NSToolbar to
be fully implemented.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Maintainer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) -------