Re: StepTalk on MOSX

From: Alexander V. Diemand
Subject: Re: StepTalk on MOSX
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:20:56 +0100

Hi

I have recently been working on this. The released interpreter can be
downloaded here: http://www.moltalk.org
StepTalk is a great part of GNUstep and implements *the* real programming
language: Smalltalk, which definitely should be ported to OSX as such a thing
is missing there (AppleScript?).

The following modules are working as by now:
- Foundation
- Objective-C
- SimpleTranscript
and interpreted language: Smalltalk

Someone would have to do the work for AppKit, as I had no need for this yet.

If you are interested, I can send you the Xcode setup. All this needs some
clean up and integration into the official StepTalk code. My changes have
been put within #ifdef __APPLE__ ... #endif.

Some stuff which might be of interest to other projects as well:
./Frameworks/StepTalk/Darwin-GS_compatibility.h
./Frameworks/StepTalk/Darwin-GS_compatibility.m

which reimplement some of libobjc methods in MOSX (missing or have been left
out on purpose ;-) ):
int objc_sizeof_type (const char *type);
int objc_alignof_type (const char *type);
char *objc_skip_typespec(const char *type);

All this needs to be reviewed and refined completely, but could serve as a
starter. I did not yet have the time to do this and release back.

Are you (others?) interested in continuing the port?

Greetings

Alex.