ANN: Ocean beta release

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: ANN: Ocean beta release
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:23:11 +0100

Hi all,

I think this is the real beta :) of ocean.

ArtResources is now a package.

Other updates:
hermit-0.1.1 (You NEED it with cod-0.4.0 to install this beta)
hermit now installs system bootscripts and symlinks those to the runlevel directories (if possible) hermit installs gs-user-inst.sh script in /System/Tools that can be run per user to create an initial ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults file and an .xinitrc script. gs-user-inst.sh tries to find the settings for the Language and TimeZone from the underlying OS and uses these as defaults for GNUstep.

The last couple of days I have been playing with StepBox v1.2 (the latest available from Yen-Ju is v3.5.3) 3.5.3 doesn't work well, while v1.2 seems to work. I would like your input on this. Should I incorporate it, or should I use IWM... or stick with window maker...

I'd like the core of ocean to be:
- gnustep-make -base -gui -back
- A workspace manager (GWorkspace)
- A window manager (for X)

Next on the development plan for hermit is to make it possible to:
- Update a system (instead of a complete install)
- Add a desktop environment (Preferences, Terminal, StepTalk and some of the dev-libs, etc.)
I expect a lot of work to make this all happen... so don't hold your breath.

And then there is the update to the Ocean website to reflect it's current state as a GNUstep based system :)

Resources:
http://ocean.made-it.com/
http://ocean.made-it.com/Tools for hermit-0.1.1.tar.gz and cod-0.4.0.tar.gz
http://ocean.made-it.com/Sources for the sources used and more
Note however that the gnustep-make-1.8.0 version is the same as from the gnustep site. The changes I made are post-compile changes. Still haven't figured out another way of doing it :(

Anyone with an idea to incorporate /System/posix into gnustep-make at e.g. build time... let me know. Note that -base is the first one that needs to find /System/posix/lib and /System/posix/include at build time.
I do change
ld_lib_path.sh
ld_lib_path.csh
config.make: CONFIG_SYSTEM_INC = -I/System/posix/include
Which seems to do the trick. A future solution for PATH is also needed since I am gonna need /System/posix/bin and /System/posix/sbin too.

Well this was a more lengthy announcement then I anticipated...

Happy Stepping,

Dennis Leeuw