Re: ANN: ImageApps Feb. 2004

From: Brent Fulgham
Subject: Re: ANN: ImageApps Feb. 2004
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:32:43 -0800

On 2004-02-04 04:26:23 -0800 Martin Herbert Dietze <herbert@spamcop.net> wrote:

Stefan Kleine Stegemann <stefan@wms-network.de> wrote:

ViewPDF: Uses the new version of PDFKit and thus does not support
           ghostscript based rendering any more. Minor bugfixex.

I downloaded the tarball from [1], compiled and installed the
software. However when trying to view a pdf file, I get error
messages like "Error: Couldn't create a font for
'WFLHPU+CMR12'" and then an empty page in the viewer.

I have encountered this same problem (with other fonts). It looks like PDFKits comes with a couple of fonts, but doesn't know how to substitute fonts when necessary.

I worked around the problem by creating symlinks between my font store on my Debian system and the Resources directory for ViewPDF. Stefan hasn't had time to answer a separate e-mail I sent asking what the font search path is, but I hope he will when he has a chance. Once we understand that, we can provide better hints for how to integrate with your existing fonts.

Thanks,

-Brent