Re: NSPopUpButton enabling

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSPopUpButton enabling
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:19:24 +0100

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

I have noticed that the items in a pop-up button remain disabled if the
button is not connected to an action. Not only is this limiting because an
action is not the only way to track the status of a op up button, but also
it differs from the behavior of macos-x, so limiting portability. Gregory
(thanks) took the time to check behavior on OpenStep and it agrees with
macos-x, so I would say it is a gnsutep bug. Maybe someone solevs this
immediatly or has something to reply to. Otherwise I'll file a bug report.

Implementing the behaviour looks like the easier part, it is just a bit of fiddling in [NSMenu update]. The hard bit is to find out, what should be done in all cases. The different cases I see are:

The popup button cell has an action or not. This may correspond to a target or not and in the first case the target may report the action as valid. And the same for the menu item.

As a short cut we may expect that the menu item allways takes preference before the popup button cell. Also, if an action is defined, no target means disabled item. Both hypotheses need checking.

If all this is true, than the change you suggest would mean, that if both the item and the popup don't have an action, the item is enabled. If you are able to confirm this, I will put in the simple bug fix.