Re: Is +[NSMutableArray initialize] completely implemented?

From: Andrew Pinski
Subject: Re: Is +[NSMutableArray initialize] completely implemented?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:03:26 -0800

On Feb 22, 2004, at 06:26, David Ayers wrote:

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
Though this seems to be a dated document, gcc/objc/README of GCC's source tells
<quote>
+initialize
===========
This method, if defined, is called before any other instance or class methods of that particular class. This method is not inherited, and is thus not called as initializer for a subclass that doesn't define it itself. Thus, each +initialize method is called once (or never if no methods of that particular class is never
called).
Besides this, it is allowed ot have several +initialize methods, one for each category. The order in which these (multiple methods) are called is not well defined. I am not completely certain what the semantics of this methods is for other implementations, but this is how it works for GNU Objective C.
<unquote>

Ahh! Thanks, that's probably where I had read it and was later confused to find that it doesn't work that way. AFAIK the Apple/NeXT runtimes also don't call +initialize per category. So I think the comment needs to be fixed.

Is there anyone who knows further? Is there a formal document of GNU's ObjC
runtime?

I haven't seen or heard of any in depth documentation on the GNU ObjC Runtime, but I'd be willing to contribute if someone (maybe one of our new libobjc maintainers :-) ) takes the lead.

Can you file a bug <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html>, I think the intended behavior
is to have them both called.  I will be looking into this.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski
a gcc bug master and a libobjc maintainer