Re: SQL database interfacing

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: SQL database interfacing
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:15:58 +0100

Ralph Moeritz wrote:
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote
Check http://www.roard.com/docs for a list of pointers to tutorials and docs...

Thanks, great page...

For interfacing with PostGreSQL you could use GDL2, but I don't know yet good
tutorials about it...

Where can I find GDL2? I've tried fishing for it at Google with no luck.

You can get GDL2 via cvs together with gnustep:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gnustep
(alternatively you can find it in the daily snapshots:
http://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/daily-snapshots/dev-libs.current.tar.bz2 )

it will be in
gnustep/dev-libs/gdl2

'cd' into that directory then
./configure
make install

should do the trick (that's if you have a cvs version (or very current snapshot) of gnustep-base (-baseadd on OS X) installed.

There have been no releases of GDL2 as of yet and (unless someone is willing to sponsor the extra effort) I'm not planning to make any soon. GDL2 is still missing a lot of code. I feel that GDL2 "users" would still be to frustrated about things that aren't working rather that it doesn't justify making a release.

Now if you have an application that's known to work with EOF (preferably EOF 4.5) that you want to get working with GDL2, then please do try and I'll try to help as much as time permits. Please take note though that we don't have EOInterface (read AppKit integration). But some have tried:
http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/MulleEOInterface/
with a certain degree of success.

What we need is developers with EOF 4.5 knowledge actively contributing code into the cvs version. I've started a little auditing project, but instead of testing and documenting all the things that don't work, I find myself spending more time getting them working.

If anyone is looking for something to help out on:

- Class/Method-level Documentation is highly appreciated.
- grep -r notImplemented: dev-libs/gdl2
(IIRC some of those should actually be subclasssResponsibility: but those need to be located/fixed just as well.)

should give enough results.  (Also look for TODO / FIXME...)

Cheers,
David