Re: static and shared libraries, stand-alone GNUstep applications

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: static and shared libraries, stand-alone GNUstep applications
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:54:07 +0000 (GMT)

Sorry to reply myself!

I did a couple of tests now, and here are the results:

My FoundationKit application was compiled (without debugging symbols) on a
i686 Debian/Linux (testing) system, with GNUstep CVS checkout from today.

shared:      60310  bytes    (stripped:     40848  bytes)
static:    4001051  bytes    (stripped:   2783568  bytes)

I copied the static binaries over to another i686 Debian/Linux PC (also
running testing), and also to a i686 RedHat 9 Linux machine.
Both machines didn't have GNUstep installed (ever).

So no gdnc, gdomap etc. and no config files were available on those machines.

The binary was fully functional (but took longer to start up, because of
the much larger file size).

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Adam Fedor wrote:

> On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 12:49 PM, M. Grabert wrote:

> > - Can a static GNUstep application be run without a full (static)
> > GNUstep installation on the machine?

So obviously yes (if you are as lucky as I am).

> > - IE. does a static GNUstep app use default values if it doesn't find
> > the Ressources in the /usr/local/GNUstep directory? Or are there some
> > files that *NEED* to be there?

At least in my case it reverted to some internal default values and it
worked fine.

> I don't know - it might be possible but I've never tried it. There are
> things like character sets,  time zones, and languages that GNUstep
> loads in and may or may not continue on gracefully if they aren't found.
>
> > - Is is neccessary that the GNUSTEP* environment variables are set to
> >   run the application?
> >
> It should not be necessary.

Yes, it seems you are right.

Thanks again for your help,