Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:09:40 +0100

On Mar 4, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Marco Scheurer wrote:

[snip]

Yes, but as we found out earlier that would be a license issue, not a
copyright issue. There could perfectly be stuff copyrighted by NeXT or
you in a package licensed by Stanford if it was contributed by NeXT or
you.

There seems to be some amount of misunderstanding here.

There's really no such thing as a license issue. If the permissions granted (or more likely, if the conditions under which the permissions are granted) under two licenses are in conflict, then it is not a "license issue", it's a
"copyright infringement". [...]

No misunderstanding: if you distribute software without permission (ie a proper license to do so), you can be sued for copyright infringement.

My point was that if you've got a proper license, it does not matter if the copyright belongs to X or to Y. The fact that you can find "Copyright NeXT, all rights reserved" in a file is not a problem in itself. It becomes a problem only if you don't have the rights (given by a license) to distribute.

marco