Followup: FreeType problems

From: Dean Powell
Subject: Followup: FreeType problems
Date: 5 Mar 2004 22:35:14 -0800

Hi, All:

I've re-built GNUstep after a recent change in Linux distributions.  I
built a late version core package (March 2, I believe) using GCC 3.3,
also freshly re-built.

The entire core package compiled and installed without incident.  I
can also compile GNUstep applications (so far I've installed
Renaissance, AddressManager, and Gomoku) without any problems at all.
However, when I try to run either AddressManager or Gomoku, I get the
following runtime error:

relocation error:
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-art.bundle/./libgnustep-art:
undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_New

The program then refuses to run.  I assume the error is the same one
as stated in this recent thread ([FYI] -art won't work with
XFree86-4.4.0):
http://groups.google.ca/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=gnu.gnustep.discuss&selm=mailman.1042.1078384170.340.discuss-gnustep%40gnu.org

My question is:  Is there a workaround available for this problem at
the moment?  Do I need to re-compile core without the backend?  I
followed the directions in the Build Guide, which suggested compiling
with -enable-graphics=art --with-name=art.  Should I simply
re-compile/re-install the back end without this option?

I'm running X-Windows 3.9, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any pointers to solving this problem.

Regards,
Dean Powell