Re: Compile time options

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Compile time options
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:21:07 +0100

Alex Perez wrote:
[snip about how to configure GNUstep]
> We do *NOT* need two different and
> unconnected places to do the same thing.

Agreed.

[snip]
> > Let me point to an example:  There's a compile time switch
> > "BACKEND_BUNDLE" in
> > NSApplication.m. What does it do? How do you change it via
> > './configure'?
> > There's nothing about it at all in './configure --help'. It's not
> > referenced
> > in Documentation.
> This probably makes the backend compile as a bundle if it's turned on.
> It's probably experimental, but it should probably be a configure
> option *looks to Alex M.*

It _is_ a configure option. :)

make$ ./configure --help
--disable-backend-bundle        Compile gui backend as a library

There's also a section about it in make/Documentation/install.texi .

The fact that it's in -make is a bit non-obvious. ISTR that there were
technical reasons (the option has a big effect on how apps are linked),
but from a quick look, I can't see any now, so it might be possible (but
maybe not preferable) to move it to -gui.

- Alexander Malmberg