Localization in an application

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Localization in an application
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:48:31 -0800

Hi,

maybe the answer is obvious, but if so, I can't figure it out.

I know you can set an NSLanguages() array in NSGlobalDomain for
localization of "everything", and you can set another on a per
application basis.
Eg. have English as default and run GNUMail in French.

Now, what I like to do is have a Preference entry, that displays a
dropdown of all supported languages (in that particular application).
That's easy enough, by using NSBundle-localizations. I can select one,
and write it to the applications NSLanguages settings.

However, the change only takes effect upon a new start of the
application. What I'm looking for is a way to have it take effect
immediately.

According to the docu, NSBundle-localizedStringForKey:value:table: takes
a filename as last parameter to lookup the key.
So in theory, if I change tableName to a different filename, say from
  .../English.lproj/Localizable.strings
  .../German.lproj/Localizable.strings
it *should* take effect as soon as I change it, but doesn't.
Or am I assuming too much?

--
Chris