Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep & The Window Manager Problem
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:11:24 +0200

Alex Perez wrote:
The list of window managers which work properly with GNUstep is so short that I can count them on one hand and still pick my nose at the same time. This is not a good state of affairs, and maybe we could be a bit more proactive in terms of helping out window manager developers who are receptive to the idea of getting GNUstep working with their window managers properly. What do others think about this problem? Personally, I've been using GNUstep for a couple of years now as a *user* and am not really very happy with windowmaker, but my options are so limited, and in my opinion, there's really just a big problem with entrenchment WRT window managers. It's the classic "good enough" syndrome.

I have been using KDE for years now with GNUstep and Gnome worked well the last time I tested. There used to be a few issues with window managers that used up the top of the screen for some toolbar, but apart from this most window managers worked "good enough".

So what's the reason for your ranting? If you have spare time spend it on coding, this is what is needed. And if you encounter specific errors, with whatever window manager you want to use, report them.

Fred