Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:23:27 +0100

> There is also a precompiled one on the GNUstep website.
> ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/libs/gnustep-objc-1.3.0.tar.gz

O.K. - I might try that as I still have some problems....

> And libffi comes with gjc the GNUstep Java compiler. If only Cygwin
> would provide a working objc.dll...

yes, I worked out I needed Java after about 20 minutes! But once that
was figured out it all compiled fine. Why wont Cygwin ship a working
libobjc then ?

> Not to hard. Forking has always been the one biggest source of porting
> trouble to Windows. So I searched in the code for a way to switch it
> off. Previously you also needed to switch off forking for gdomap, but
> this was somehow fixed.

I think there may be a similar issue with gpbs - that also exhibits the
problem of apps not being able to find it and so constantly trying to
start new copies.

My other problem has been with renaissance - I can compile and install
the library fine (with a minor patch - see bug report submitted earlier).
but applications compiled and linked against it seem to not be able to
find any of the functions in the library - category methods on
NSBundle for examle (i.e. the method to load a markup file!). Could this
be a libobjc problem somehow ?

But I feel that I am gettign a lot closer than I was to avign a running
system - this is certainly as near as I have every come... I have Ink.app
working now (aside from cut/paste obviously).

-bat.