Re: Building gnuStep on panther

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Building gnuStep on panther
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:16:00 +1000

From: Matthew Weinstein <mweinste@kent.edu>
Subject: Building gnuStep on panther

Still trying to build on panther. The good news, after playing a lot
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and friends), foundation is built. Gui is
anothe problem. I'm building from cvs. Here are make's final words

Stuff removed.

  Linking library libgnustep-gui ...
ld: for architecture ppc
ld: warning undefined symbols:
___objc_exec_class
_objc_get_class
_objc_msg_lookup
_objc_msg_lookup_super
___objc_class_name_Protocol
_objc_free
etc.

The problem here is that you are linking the wrong Objective-C runtime library. Because your programs are compiled using the -fgnu-runtime option, they call functions within the GNU runtime, which are all those missing symbols. The Apple runtime has similar functions but the names are different.

Yves wrote
Do you have a libgcc.dylib in /usr/local/lib ?

I would have thought you should be looking for the whereabouts of libobjc.dylib. That should be in /usr/local/lib and should solve your problem presuming that within the GNU build process '-L/usr/local/lib' is given as an option to ld before '-lobjc'. ( See the man page for ld.) Unless this happens the linker will find /usr/lib/libobjc.dylib, which is the Apple runtime.

By default the gcc source will not build libobjc on MacOS X/Darwin systems.

Bill Northcott