Re: gnustep-back v. WM80.2 v. xinerama

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: gnustep-back v. WM80.2 v. xinerama
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:13:25 +0200

Armando Di Cianno wrote:
[snip]
> (time) (name of app)[pid] Warning: gotShmCompletion: couldn't find
> XWindowBuffer for drawable
>
> appeaing at a rate of about 10 a second.  I'm running the art backend.
>   Everything seems to work just fine, 'cept for the unease at having
> thousands of errors messages scrolling by.

back-art will print this warning if it gets an XShm completion event but
can't figure out which window it was for. I've seen this happen
occasionally when a window is drawn to and then immediately closed (so
we deallocate the window before processing the completion event), but it
sounds like you're getting a warning for each redraw.

Since everything works, my guess is that X is sending multiple
completion events (one per screen?) with different drawables. I don't
know whether this is actually ok, or if it just happens to work for you.
If you want to, you could comment out line 561 in
back/Source/x11/XWindowBuffer.m to disable the warning.

> The App causing the errors at an incredible rate is AClock, which has
> a nice spinny second hand.  Other apps don't shed warnings like this
> one, but if I grab a gnustep icon and "rub it over" other icons, that
> app starts to send these messages.
>
> This could all be an old version of WindowMaker's fault, but I figure
> I'd post and let anyone who might "just know" how to fix it know about
> it.

I highly doubt that this is windowmaker's fault.

- Alexander Malmberg