Re: best way to launch (a series) of other (non gnustep) programs

From: Dirk Olmes
Subject: Re: best way to launch (a series) of other (non gnustep) programs
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:03:29 +0200

On 2004-07-04 16:26:47 +0200 Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:

Well, if you think about it, depending on something like $PATH is itself non-portable! Sure, we have grown accustomed to things like a $PATH variable in the environment, but who's to say it must exist? For example, you're assuming that something like gv will exist, that itself is very non-portable. Really, $PATH i something used by shells, not really the OS, this goes for all the normal "shell" type stuff environment variables you may be thinking of. Just something to chew on.
[...]
I suppose you could write a method like this to search for a UNIX program in $PATH:

-(NSString*) findProgram: (NSString*) programName

Chad is right, path does not even have to be set. But I've implemented
searching $PATH in Zipper and found it works quite well :-)

You may also consider providing a preference setting for the path to the
executable to launch. While it has to be done manually, the user is free to
organize his/her filesystem.

-dirk