Re: app wrappers and gworkspace

From: Jonathan Shipley
Subject: Re: app wrappers and gworkspace
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:21:59 +0100

First question.

I like gworkspace, but it has some faults. So in the spirit of
constructive criticism, here goes.

Why does gworkspace have to use app wrappers?  App wrappers are
virtually useless (sorry).  Firstly, they are no where near a
comprehensive collection, and include many programs which I don't use.
Secondly, the collection doesn't have most of the programs I actually
have on my system.  Am I the only to use Mozilla instead of Netscape?
Openoffice instead of Staroffice?  And finally, I am now fed up of
editing these scripts to get a half-decent set of defaults in
gworkspace.  Surely every program installed should be easily accessible?
As it is -- it's as if most of my system isn't there as far as
gworkspace is concerned.

This can't go on can it?  Why can't gworkspace get the programs from
somewhere else?  Perhaps /etc/mailcap?  At least I have those programs
installed.  Or perhaps someone can think of a better way.

I, for one, would be *very* glad to have gworkspace work right after a
fresh install.[1]  What's the point in having a really usable GUI for
navigation if I have no way of easily performing an action on the file?

[1] It used to be called 'right out of the box'. Haven't seen one of
those for a while.

Hopefully,
--
Jonathan