Re: app wrappers and gworkspace

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: app wrappers and gworkspace
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:14:55 +0300

On 2004-08-06 01:33:37 +0300 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> Le 5 août 04, à 23:00, Alex Perez a écrit :
>>
>> I suspect one of the biggest problems with GWorkspace is that really only
>> one person, Enrico, works on it. While I'm in constructive-criticism mode,
>> I also will mention that I think this whole "seperate application
>> modularization" thing that GWorkspace recently went through is a step
>> backwards and not forewards. While it might make sense to have the dock be
>> a separata app, it makes little sense to have the inspector be. It should
>> be a normal bundle. The way it is now is needlessly frustrating. When you
>> try to close the inspector, GWorkspace says "warning! The inspector
>> termintated unexpectedly, do you want to restart it?" which is maddening
>> because it's /not/ unexpected since I just told it to quit....
>
> I agree. The decision of making separate apps seems odd to me. Dock and
> GWorkspace, ok, but an Inspector.app or Operation.app is a bit too much imho.

As I've explained some time ago, this is only a provvisional solution.
I'm rewriting pratically all the app and it has been simplier for me to divide
the whole thing in some logical unities. Probably, at the end of this process,
all the parts will become again one - or two (Desktop) - apps.
Beside this, you should also consider that even only a simple fileviewer<->dock
separation automatically creates the need of many other objects used by both
the apps; Operation and Inspector, for example, are needed by the file viewer,
the dock and the desktop.

Regarding the wrappers: the first thing that I must say is that I cant't
mainten them; all the wrappers distributed with GWorkspace are contributions of
its users. And, they are *not* GWorkspace parts, they are GNUstep applications!
Anyway, I consider Raffael Herzog's GSWrapper the best solution for create and
edit existing wrappers; and also a parser of /usr/share/applications would be a
nice thing.
But Gworkspace will never do itself this work; it doesn't know anything about
applications and their location; when you double click on a icon GW only sends
a -openFile: or -openFile:withApplication: to the shared instance of the
NSWorkspace class; nothing else.