Re: preferences api

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: preferences api
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:41:59 +0100

On 16 Aug 2004, at 08:08, Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this ... programs don't have home directories
under unix ... users do.
Programs are run by/as particular users.

Well the user associated with the daemon needs to have a home directory. And if we use NSUserDefaults that means the setting for the programs will be placed in the users home directory. If we run my NetcconfigD as nobody then there must be a valid user named nobody.

In the sense that there must be a directory containing the defaults file(s) from which the information can be read, yes there must be a valid user. I think, on most systems, if the home directory for a user is not specified in the password file, the root directory is used, and the defaults database for the user would therefore be placed in /GNUstep. Of course, since the user has no write access, the defaults directory could not be created automatically and you would have to create it manually as root, then change its ownership. On many systems the 'nobody' account is specially set up to have a home directory specified, but for the directory to be non-existent. In that case, the system GNUsteprc would need to be used to direct the defaults system to read the user defaults from an alternative location (and the GNUstep system would need to be set up just for use by that account). However, running programs as a non-existent user is really working hard at trying to break the defaults system!