Re: NSKeyedArchiver implementation...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSKeyedArchiver implementation...
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:48:44 +0200

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
My issue is that we will not only need to read, but we will also need to WRITE
the same format.  So we *will* need to keep up with IB and Cocoa changes, which
can only be done by those of us who have Cocoa machines.  This is particularly
a problem when it comes to .gorm archives (which are just object archives like
any other).  There are many internal classes which are vastly different and it
will be expected that if keyed archiving can read/write Apple archives that we
will also be able to read/write Apple .nib files (since they are also simply
archives).
There are some things that have been done in GNUstep, particularly with
templates, which are superior to how Apple/NeXT implemented it on
MOSX/OPENSTEP.   I hesitant to reverse engineer this piece on MOSX, and others,
and change how we work and possibly degrade how we work simply so that we can
be compatible.

I understand the problem with writing Apple compatible NIB files. But perhaps we should just not put this at the top of the priority list? Mine looks like this:

1) read Apple object archives
2) read Apple NIB files
3) write Apple object archives
4) write key code GNUstep GORM files
5) write Apple NIB files

That is, first get all the normal classes to be read in. Than the special NIB classes from Apple. Later we may start to support writing object archives and than key encode our own GORM classes (and of course add reading for them as well). Last we may try to be able to write NIB files that could be read in on a Cocoa system. If we ever get to step 4, but not to 5, we could simple ship a small set of GORM classes in source code to be used on Cocoa systems.

Fred