Text label mis-sizing / clipping

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Text label mis-sizing / clipping
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:50:05 -0400

Hi all,

One minor annoyance I've experienced on GNUstep so far is the fact that text labels often cut off the text they contain. See attached shots of Gorm's palette panel (note "Switc" on left, and "CustomVie" on lower right) and GWorkspace's preferences panel ("Nam", "Owne") for example. Almost every app shows this bug somewhere. For a while I just thought I had something misconfigured on my system, but I've now seen similar cases in many screenshots on the web, in tutorials, etc.. I've tried both the Art and Xlib backends. FWIW, Art is slightly better than Xlib-antialias, and Xlib-nonantialias is a little better still (but still not perfect).

This clipping effect makes apps and/or gnustep itself look really amateurish, obscuring a great system and the fine efforts of many people.

I understand that GNUstep tends to use fixed widget sizes so that font differences between systems could be causing the problem. Perhaps it can be laid to poor metric / other information on the fonts themselves, since I have seen this complained about -- but I tend to doubt this explanation since it does not seem to affect all widgets equally. (Look at the Box widgets in the attached shots for example.) It could be an issue with layout and not with a widget itself. Does anyone have a better idea of what the problem might be and what we could do about it?

<gormPalette.png>

<gworkspacePrefs.png>