Re: How does GNUSTEP measure up?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: How does GNUSTEP measure up?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:19:32 -0400

On Sep 16, 2004, at 7:03 PM, Arich Chanachai wrote:

I'd like to know if this should be my choice for applications dev.
A few questions:

1. How does it compare in regards to speed? vs. Java or .DotNET

For non-graphical ops it is usually faster to much faster than these depending on how much OO stuff (as opposed to straight C) is in the inner loops. For GUIs and app startup it is significantly faster than Java, probably a little slower than .NET.

4. What is the depth of its own libraries?

This is where GNUstep really shines. There are about 70 nongraphical classes and 120 graphical ones, compared with 4 times that in Java 1.4, yet the functionality provided is comparable. It's just a much cleaner API resulting from long evolution without keeping the cruft.

(For more comparison w/Java see http://gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/ ProgrammingManual/manual_11.html )

5. I heard it has a dev. IDE, is it better or as good as Eclipse or VS?

For GUI design it has a tool rivalling the best for other frameworks; for code editing/management tasks it has an IDE with a good build and packaging system, but you are best off using your own editor, and there is no support for refactoring. (Apple's tool doesn't do refactoring either.)