Re: NSControl question

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSControl question
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:28:30 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
[snip]
Aborting the editing is not that bad a solution either, so I don't see it as a bug. See what the Apple documentation says on this method:
[snip]
> If
the cell is being edited, it aborts all editing before setting the
value;

True, but not inconsistent with restarting the field editor after changing the value, which, to the user, looks like editing wasn't aborted. It does boil down to an interface choice, though (but in API sense, and in a "what do we want the user to see"-sense)

[snip]
We could be a bit more selective on the editing status of the cell, that
is, only call abortEditing when this cell is the one being edited.

I don't really see what you're getting at here. Note that -abortEditing does nothing if called on a view that isn't being edited.

[snip]
Starting a cleanup of NSCell is a great idea. As this will break (forward) compatibility (new ivars, which also need to be stored in archives)

Well, that remains to be seen, but it is likely.

> with older GNUstep releases we should only start this after
the new GUI release, which hopefully will come out this week.

Heh, there's no risk that this will be done for this release. Even apart from compatibility and safety issues, there simply isn't enough time. :)

(Indeed, it remains to be seen whether it will be done for the next release... :/)

- Alexander Malmberg