Re: CVS, GWorkspace.app and app wrappers

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: CVS, GWorkspace.app and app wrappers
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:08:22 +0100

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:46:45 +0200, Larry Cow <larry@doubidou.net> wrote:
> Enrico Sersale a écrit :
>
> > Regarding (1) and (2):
> > The problem is that annotations and colors must be saved somewhere.
> > But I've just started to think to a solution for the "Live Search
> > Folders" I'm writing and the annotations could be saved in the same
> > place.
> > Perhaps I'll use libdb with a btree access method but I'm not sure.
> > Any suggestion?
>
> Instead of libdb, maybe we could look into SQLite. But that's almost the
> same idea.
>
> Another way of managing this could be te rely on filesystem's extended
> attributes. Most currents ones are supporting this, even if it's not
> enabled by default. What about trying to use (optionnaly) this kind of
> feature?
>
> --
> Larry Cow

Yup libdb is a good idea. Enlightenment used libdb2.7 and built a
whole transaction and logging layer on top of it for all their disk
bound data. Im just a little worried of having separate metadata and
file data. What if the file was deleted and the metadata is not? Would
the synchronization be complex?

Im not sure about extended attributes. You need to build a layer to
handle it. It will not work outside linux though. Is anybody using
gworkspace on windows?

Why not just put everything in directories like the .apps? That way we
have a flexible metadata system and everything stays together. It will
be slow though.

--
Blood is thicker than water... and much tastier
                                           John Davidorff Pell